Bun mang ga, or chicken and bamboo shoot vermicelli soup, is a popular Vietnamese dish that is both flavorful and nutritious. Here is a simple recipe for making delicious bun mang ga at home:
- 1 pound bone-in chicken thighs
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can bamboo shoots, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces vermicelli noodles, cooked according to package instructions
- Bean sprouts, sliced cucumbers, chopped cilantro, and sliced chili peppers for garnish
- In a large pot, add the chicken thighs and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and let cool. Once cooled, shred the chicken meat and set it aside.
- In a separate pan, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the sliced bamboo shoots to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce, sugar, and black pepper to the pan and stir to combine. Let simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- To assemble the soup, place a serving of cooked vermicelli noodles into a bowl. Add a portion of shredded chicken on top of the noodles, then add the bamboo shoot mixture on top of the chicken.
- Ladle hot broth into the bowl, covering the noodles and chicken. Garnish with bean sprouts, sliced cucumbers, chopped cilantro, and sliced chili peppers as desired.
Enjoy your delicious bun mang ga!